Asian countries have relatively high rates of myopia, with approximately 80% to 90% of Asian youths needing glasses. The risk of other eye problems such as glaucoma and cataract also increases with age, especially for those with high glasses degrees. So, what can you do to keep your eyes healthy? Here are some easy tips to maintain your eye health.
- Eat well – Studies have shown that antioxidants and nutrients are linked to lower risk of common eye conditions like glaucoma and macular degeneration. Foods that top the list are leafy greens, dark berries and cold-water fish. Other food items high in omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins C and vitamin E are also good for your eyes.
- Rest your eyes – With our busy lifestyle, it can sometimes be difficult to maintain a lengthy eye-care routine. A quick and useful alternative would be the 20-20-20 rule. Rest your eyes every 20 minutes by looking 20 feet in front of you for 20 seconds.
- Protect your eyes – Too much UV light exposure can contribute to cataracts and macular degeneration, 2 of the top causes of blindness. Sunglasses that block out 99% to 100% of UVA and UVB rays can thus help to protect your eyes.
- Exercise – Regular exercise can help by increasing blood circulation, which can lower pressure in the eyes. This will help those with glaucoma, or those who are at risk of glaucoma.
- Go for eye check ups regularly – Eye checkups can detect even the smallest changes in eye health before they become too serious. Both Optometrists and Ophthalmologists can do eye checkups. The difference between the two is that Optometrists are trained to diagnose more common eye conditions. On the other hand, Ophthalmologists are medical doctors who specialise in the eye. They are trained to perform surgery and have additional specialised training in diagnosing and treating more complex medical eye conditions.
If you would like to have a complete eye checkup or examination with an eye specialist, call our friendly medical concierge at +65 6679 7867 or email us at email@example.com and we will be on hand to assist you.