A little stress is life is good for us, but too much stress can overwhelm us. Here are some easy tips to help you better manage stress:
- Identify what’s causing stress. If you feel stressed, write down the cause, your thoughts and your mood. Once you know what’s bothering you, develop a plan for addressing it. That might mean setting more reasonable expectations for yourself and others or asking for help with work assignments, household responsibilities or other tasks. Make a list of all your commitments, assess your priorities and then eliminate any tasks that are not absolutely essential.
- Build strong relationships. Relationships can be a source of stress. Quarrels with your spouse cause immediate changes in stress-sensitive hormones. Relationships can also serve as stress buffers. Talk to family members or close friends and let them know you’re having a tough time. They may be able to offer assistance and support.
- Walk away when you’re angry. Before you react, take time to out by counting to 10. Taking a walk or engaging in other physical activities can also help calm you down. Exercise increases the production of endorphins, your body’s natural mood-booster. Commit to a daily walk or other form of exercise — take small steps, it can help make a big difference in reducing stress levels.
- Rest your mind. Stress keeps more than 40 percent of adults lying awake at night. To help ensure you get the recommended seven to eight hours of restful sleep, cut back on caffeine, remove distractions such as mobile phones, computers and television from your bedroom and go to bed at the same time every night. Activities like yoga and relaxation exercises can help boost your immune function and help reduce stress.
- Get help. If you continue to feel overwhelmed by stress, seek medical advice from a psychologist or licensed mental health professional. They can help you identify situations or behaviors that contribute to your chronic stress and then develop an action plan to manage stress effectively.
If you or a loved one is feeling overwhelmed by stress and would like expert medical advice, call our friendly medical concierge at +65 6679 7867 or email us at email@example.com and we will be on hand to assist you.