Sitting eight hours a day has a negative impact on our health. People who spend more time sitting down is at a higher risk of heart diseases, diabetes, various cancers including breast, colon and ovarian cancer and even death. Regular exercise may not be enough to reduce this risk. We need to do both exercise and spend less time sitting. Standing burns twice as much calories as sitting. Therefore, we should aim to decrease our sitting time by 2-3 hours in a 12-hour day. Here are some small ways you can reduce your sitting time every day:
- Stand during commercial breaks while watching TV
- Incorporate short breaks into your work routine
- Walk around while you are on the phone
- Stand on the train or bus
- Walk at least 30 minutes a day
If you would like to undergo a personal health assessment to better understand your health risks, call our friendly medical concierge at +65 6679 7867 or email us at email@example.com.